What is an IP Address Conflict?
The IP Address Conflict generally occurs when two devices in a home network acquire or have the same IP Address 192.168.0.1. This can be due to the IP Address assignment done by the router in the home network. This can lead to the network connection error in one or both devices having the same IP Address.
In this article, we will discuss all aspects of situations of conflict of IP Addresses.
Reasons for having an IP Address Conflict
The conflicts in IP Addresses can happen due to various reasons. Some of the reasons are as follows.
- When Admin of the Local Network assigns same Static IP Address to two devices.
- When the local network admin assigns the IP to a device in the DHCP range & the same IP Address is assigned automatically by the local DHCP Server.
- This can also occur due to the malfunction in the Local DHCP Server when the server assigns the same Dynamic IP Address to multiple devices.
- It can also occur due to the mistake of ISP where same IP (IPv4 Address) is assigned to different users either statically or dynamically.
How to Resolve Conflicted IP Addresses?
The user must check the measures which can be taken to avoid conflict of IP’s. The preventive measures are as follows.
- Local Network Admin must check that the IP Address are unique for every user in the network.
- If the device supports DHCP facility then the user must restart the device to avoid IP Address Conflict.
- If the router has malfunctions in assigning the IP Addresses then the user must update the firmware of the router.